Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Other Good Reads

So, I mentioned The Fallen books in my last post, and since I'm majorly bored right now I thought I'd post a few other YA favorites that you should check out if you have the time.

First is the Mortal Instruments series (otherwise known as City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass) by Cassandra Clare. These are better than Twilight in my opinion (gasp!). She has a new book coming out in August called Clockwork Angel, which I am very excited about. There's something about her writing that's pretty engaging--keeps you turning the pages. She also does a great job with constant action--there's not a lot of dull moments/backstory filling up the pages before you get to one big climax scene. I try to do the same thing with my writing--hopefully I am successful. Anyway, remember that name: Cassandra Clare. Good stuff. Good stuff.

The second is a new author that I came across. I will now give the shameless plug: she is a friend of mine's cousin. Her name is Angie Fraizer and her debut novel is called Everlasting. It's a historical fiction with a splash of fantasy mixed in there. I will be the first to admit that I absolutely LOVE historical romances... Jane Austen is my hero. This book had a great mix of sea adventure, love, and weird fantasy elements. It's the first in a series (or at least there should be a sequel coming). So stay tuned and keep an eye out for her books. I've also read the Vampire Academy books, most recently book number five: Spirit Bound. The first three books in the series were great, but I'm worried about how the series is going. It almost seems like she needs to end the series in a good place instead of dragging it out. Trust me, she's dragging it out. If the series goes beyond six books, I don't think I can continue on with it. Don't get me wrong, they're entertaining, but the plots are going all whacko.

Moving on to adult reading. If you like short stories and great writing, check out Amy Hempel. She's got an amazing collected works of short stories out there. I also enjoyed Wells Tower's collection: Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned. Why the short stories you ask? Because all we studied in my MFA program were short stories. Too bad we didn't study YA or more contemporary writers out there. Anyway, that's my short list. Enjoy... OH! and share your own favorites? Has anyone read "Huge" by Sasha Paley? I know they just made it into a TV series on ABC Family and I have to admit I'm very curious but also a bit apprehensive.

3 comments:

  1. LOL I know this post is from a few years ago now but I'm reading through your blog and getting to know you I guess ( I hope you don't consider this stalking because I'm not stalking you- honestly XD ) but I wanted to say that I too loved Cassandra's series, I read the first four books but I haven't read the continuing series yet, I don't know if I will either.
    I completely agree with you about Richelle's VA series, I LOVE the first three books, honestly, there are parts that I just flip to and read from there but the following three have been real let downs. I'm really disappointed with it, it really just feels like she was writing to write (more money, extend the hype too) and not for the love of it anymore. Hence my hesitation to read Cassandra's follow up series.
    On that note, your stories are fantastic and I know that this process to be published has been long drawn out for you (2009-2012 is a LONG time) but one thing you need to keep in your mind always is that your love for your characters and your story needs to shine through. Take Richelle for example, the first three books are full of love and passion, the last three, not so much. Your amazingly talented and the postings on fp that you say are drafts, are fantastic because there is that love and passion. I'm just saying, as a reader I can feel it and as a fan I want to warn to make sure that it's always there and that during this process of editing, I really hope you don't lose it (whether it be through frustration or agent/publisher's advice).
    Thanks for the plug on your cousin's friend's book aye, I love historical fiction (Johanna Lindsey, Lisa Kleypas anyone? =P) so I'm gunna check it out and see if it's available in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johanna Lindsey is a good one. My favorite it Julia Quinn. But yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. I haven't even bothered picking up the follow ups with Meads books (Bloodlust or whatever it's called). I started the next one to Cassandra Clare and I haven't finished it yet--it wasn't horrible, but I just wasn't really into it. I really do hope that I never get that way--that if I write a book beyond what was intended that it is with passion and love and not to just write it. I don't think I'm like that though--I can't force myself to write something, I have to feel it.

    And I don't think you're stalking me, I'm glad you're reading my blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Julia Quinn is good too, I've got one of her novels (Dear Sir Phillips or something like that) and I really love it, it's a part of a series so I really want to read the others, they sound like good fun =)
    That's good to hear and with that attitude I don't think you'll have that problem.
    Thank you for not thinking that XD

    ReplyDelete