Monday, December 19, 2011

Moving Forward

Outlining is fun!
Even though I'm not completely done with SURRENDER (as explained in my last post), I've started outlining book 2 of the Fallen Guardian Series, which is currently untitled. Although, I've been playing around with a few ideas for titles, but since I'm only 85% married to SURRENDER, there's a lot of wiggle room at this point. I think I might have had a breakthrough regarding something major: the point of the series. Ha! Even though book one is done, I still didn't know where I was headed for books two and three. I didn't know what everyone was fighting for and I might have figured that out today. Things always change as I start writing, so everything is still up in the air.

I feel like I'm making progress and at least moving forward. I always have a hard time transitioning between big steps. For example, after I finished writing the novel it took me a while to get into editing. I don't like the down time (even though I should enjoy it). So, my goal is to start writing in the next few days. Once I start it'll be easier to continue until book two is done.

I've also started to read KILLING MEMORIES in preparation to edit it. I've been on a roller coaster with this one in the last few days. I compiled all of the edited chapters and started reading and thought "Ehhhhhh, this needs a lot of work." Then I started reading it on my NOOK and thought, "Hey, this isn't so bad after all! I just need to make her sound a little more mature." I felt dizzy. I don't plan on making major changes to the novel, a few added scenes here and there. I know that the arch of the novel needs a little work, mostly because I wrote the first half with absolutely no purpose in mind (sound familiar?!). But, overall, I'm excited to start working on this. I'm hesitant to make any promises about when it might be ready, but I'm hoping for Summer 2012.

Book 2 in the Game of Thrones series.
In other news, I'm on to reading something non-YA. I recently watched season one of GAME OF THRONES, which was awesome. So I'm reading the second book in the series (since the TV show covered the first book to a T, or so my sister says). It's like 999 pages, or something crazy like that. Sometimes, when I'm holding it in my hand, I wonder if I'll ever finish it. Makes me feel bad for writing a 510 page novel. But... length is my forte, so... yeah.

2 comments:

  1. I think the rereading stage starts like that because you have improved since the last time you wrote the story even if you didn't notice it, so when you start all you see are flaws and then once you get into the flow of the story and into the plot you can see the gems, lol.

    And Game of Thrones is brilliant, I haven't read any of the books because I want the show to continue to be a surprise to me.

    And when it comes to length, I don't care so much about page numbers as I do about whethe ror not it's flowing as I read it. I bought the Lord of the Rings Trilogy in an omnibus addition and I didn't mind that it was massive, lol, I just really hoped that it wouldn't be super dull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, yes, you're right. I'm seeing the gems of Es and Moo, but at first I was cringing pretty hard. It's all a process, I guess. And it's honestly not too horrible. There are definitely things that I'll edit out, but overall not as bad as I first thought.

    I kinda feel the same way about Game of Thrones, but I do want to read the books and I don't think that I will if I watch the show first (I would if the series was at all different, but they really did a great job adapting it--they should win some kind of Emmy for that). So, I'm probably ruining it for myself, but I just wanted to keep watching. I'm almost tempted to watch season 1 again.

    I suppose I'm the same way in regard to long books. I think I have that same LOTR collection, but haven't tapped into it (although I love, love, loved the movies). I too am worried about being bored. There are parts of Game of Thrones, where I find myself wanting to skip ahead to the characters I like more, but I'm resisting.

    ReplyDelete