Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Picking up on "Around the World Tonight"

Now that A STARTER BOYFRIEND is finished (I'm still planning on an early August release), I've been focusing on AROUND THE WORLD TONIGHT, which I started several months ago. To refresh myself with this story, I've decided to edit the first 126 pages that I wrote. So far, I'm pleased! Haha. It's always nice to return to something and think "hey, this doesn't suck after all!" So, my goal is to finish the first draft of this novel by the end of the year (if not before) so that I can hopefully haven't something new out next year.

Here's the updated cover for ASB. I'm definitely going with the picture (sorry non fans!). I'm still not 100% in love with
the font, but I think it's getting better. I still need to work on the blurb. I kinda wish I had the old one from my Fiction Press days! Because the cover's not as "romantic," I'll need to spice up the blurb a little.

Now, I know what some of you are wondering... what about KM6? Well, the idea is still there but the drive to write is not. Instead of forcing the story out, I'm going to let it marinate a little longer. Hopefully I'll feel ready to work on it after I complete the draft of this new novel. It's probably good for me to work on new things. Sometimes I wonder if it's a mistake to even extend the Estela and Moo series with more books. I've said to myself from the beginning that I wouldn't do it unless I had a solid story arch. In the beginning I did feel like I had something, but not so much any more. Plus, I do want to finish the supernatural YA trilogy that I have planned (book 1 is finished, but needs massive editing).

Oh yeah... I have been seriously thinking about offering the KM series in paperback format. A lot of work needs to happen before I take this plunge, but I think it will be the next step for Estela and Moo. (It will likely happen much faster than KM6 getting finished.)

The good news in all of this is that at least I'm working again. I'm hoping that means that life is balancing out and I'm on the upswing. Although, I do still need to find my own place to live. One monstrous task at a time.

2 comments:

  1. For blurbage I'd hit up amazon or harlequin or popular romance novels in your genre (new adult romance) and see how they have it set up to help you with it since it's a different feel from the KM series.

    If you're going paperback, are you thinking of going with one of those on-demand services? So if a reader pays for it it'll be printed and shipped to them only if it's been ordered by them or are you going to pay to have a few made up and then once they buy it you'll ship it yourself?

    I don't know (I don't think) I've sent this your way yet, but here's a series from an author who is doing fairly well in the self-publishing realm (I believe):

    http://elizabethhunterwrites.com/2014/03/03/self-publishing-is-it-difficult-sometimes-is-it-doable-definitely/

    The second part of the series on book covers might be of some interest to you.

    And regarding Susan Dennard, not sure if this will help you since I know you have a process in place already, but if you scroll down a bit she has worksheets for novel revision that you might find interesting:

    http://susandennard.com/links/for-writers/

    Good to see things have been getting back on track for you writing and work wise,and I think I read in a comment that you were going to London? That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't decided what I'll do yet, regarding the paperback books. I don't really know what the demand would be so maybe print on demand is the better route? At the same time, I like the idea of sending them myself :). But, I've still got a while yet before this becomes a reality!

      Good idea regarding looking up blurbs on current amazon/harlequin novels. I need to get a move on with a draft of the blurb for ASB--that and the cover are always the hardest part!

      Thanks for sharing the links with me (no I haven't recieved the elizabeth hunter one yet). I'll definitely check out the book covers post!

      Yup, my London trip is August 23-September 2. I'm really excited. I've never been and it's the top on my "must visit here" list.

      Delete